Online Counselling simply means connecting with a therapist through a computer, tablet or smart phone, using voice, video, email or messaging.
In my Online counselling I use a variety of ways to hold a session, including using Zoom video link and e-mail based counselling – good for when other types of therapy do not work due to time restrains or a weak signal.
When using Video link or messaging you access your therapy in real time, very much like traditional counselling, but you are at a place that feels comfortable and safe for you. With email counselling there is some ‘time’ between emails, and people who access counselling via email, are good at managing their time and responses.
Using your home network provider will be more secure than using your mobile network provider, and for video counselling with Zoom it is best to use a wired connection due to lag and drop of signal.
Many people who find online counselling beneficial
- have access to technology
- feel at ease using online communication
It is necessary to establish some ground rules for online work, in order for your sessions not just to work, but to work well…
- You will need a quiet place to talk, free from distractions. You will need to have your time dedicated to you session and still want confidentiality Connecting in a public space, a library for instance is not going to work. Wearing of headphones will improve both confidentiality and the sound quality is better.
- It is important to have a good internet connection. Many people are used to using Skype or Hangouts for video chatting and will do so from unsecured connections, but to keep you secure in your online counselling session it is better if you make use of your home hub.
- In case of technical difficulties arising during the session, it is important to have an alternative plan. Having a fixed alternative , whether that would be telephone or messaging, ensures your session continues and you are not left stranded.
If you are unsure about anything, please contact me and I will try to answer your questions within a reasonable time frame.